Copyright © 2014 Trick Master PC, LLC
Learn How to Flash & Overclock your Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 BIOS
If you own a Geforce GTX 980 or GTX 970 graphics card and you want to learn how to use NvFlash to flash-mod your card with a customized high-performance ROM, then you've come to the right place! This tutorial will show you how to unlock the full overclocking potential of your GTX 980 and enable you to achieve the highest possible frame-rates in-game. The High-Performance GTX 980 ROM clock speeds are outstanding and tested completely stable when applied to a standard GTX 980 on water cooling. This process will work on any GTX 980 reference card. Please note that you must have sufficient air or water cooling to run your card at higher clocks speeds and voltages, otherwise GPU or Memory burn-out may occur. I recommend replacing your GPU thermal compound with Antec Forumla 7 Nano Diamond Thermal Compound
, to ensure 100% efficiency in heat transfer from your GPU to the heat-sync.
- Step 1: Download Custom GTX 980 ROM v84.04.1F.00.86 and the 980 nvflash Package
- 1266 MHz Base Clock
- 1367 MHz Boost Clock
- 1470 MHz Boost Clock within Temperature Range (on water cooling this will be your constant 3D clock)
- 1700 MHz MAX Boost Clock which can be achieved using eVGA PrecisionX
- 3806 MHz Memory Clock
- Step 2: Download GPUz by TechPowerUp
- Step 3: Prepare the nvflash directory
- Extract NVFlash contents to C:/nvflash
- Ensure the ROM (980tweak.rom) is placed in C:/nvflash
- Step 4: In the Device Manager locate your display adapters, right click over each and select Disable.
- Step 5: Use GPUz to save a copy of your stock ROM image and store it for safe keeping
- Step 6: Open the Admin Command Prompt
- Type: cd C:/nvflash
- Type: nvflash 980tweak.rom -6
- Hit Enter --- (please note if you have issues using -6 then please use -5 -6 and worst case scenario use -4 -5 -6)
- Press "Y" to confirm that you have Disabled your Display Adapters.
- Press "Y" to begin the flash process. It can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Upon completion you will hear an audible beep. If you have more than one graphics card, it will ask you to Press "Y" again to flash the next card and so on, until all cards have been flashed.
- Step 7: Restart your computer then re-enable your Display Adapters. The system may need to reinstall your Geforce Drivers because it appears to the system as if you have installed new graphics card(s).
- Step 8: You can use eVGA PrecisionX with OC Scanner installed to further overclock your newly modified 980. Please ensure you have adequate cooling before pushing above 1500MHz.
- Step 9: Check out my Tutorial on how Enable PCIe 3.0 if you're running an x79 motherboard (by default you're running at PCIe 2.0 speeds).
- Step 10: You can use the 980 ROM Tweaker Program to perform additional modifications to your Geforce GTX 980 ROM file if desired.
It is possible to Flash the GPU BIOS of an ASUS, PNY or other manufacturer's graphics card with a custom ROM. Just use the command string as specified above with a -5 -6. Use the contact form if you have any questions
Click on an Ad and help me make some Money to Support the Tutorials